Hospital Acquired Delirium
- The earlier delirium is recognized, the sooner corrective action may
- This may shorten the duration of delirium.
- DO NOT AGREE WITH PATIENT'S DELIRIUM:
- Agreeing with the patient’s delusions is counterproductive, as
reorientation to reality may help prevent or shorten delirium.
- NO BENZODIAZEPINE:
- Benzodiazepines, even in low doses, have been shown to cause or
- STOP ANTICHOLINERGICS:
- Anticholinergics can also cause or worsen delirium, as can many
other commonly used medications.
- CONSTIPATION & URINARY RETENTION:
- Changes in bowel or bladder function may affect mental status,
so evaluating patients for urinary retention may be helpful.
- Abnormalities in even basic laboratory values could be enough to
cause acute mental status changes in vulnerable elderly patients, so
fluid and electrolyte balance should be maintained